Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Supreme Court Case of Interest

A&M Records, Inc. v. Napster, Inc., 239 F.3d 1004 (9th Cir. 2001), was an important intellectual property case in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that the defendant, Napster, could be held liable for contributory infringement of the plaintiff record company's copyrights.

I've selected this Supreme Court Case as it has some direct correlation with my lifestyle. I'm not saying that I download pirated music, but I know somebody that has. Piracy is an ever growing practice amongst the unemployed youth of America. And why not... They're cooped up in their parent-paid homes using their parent-paid internet connection on most likely their parent-paid computers downloading music, which to them is absolutely free. It's hard to imagine the era of Napster that I was raised in with some kind of payment policy in order to download the music. At that time, I was that parent-paid youngster... but now days I have more to worry about then music.

Through the following weeks and posts, we'll dig a little deeper in to what made this court case really pop.


http://www.dml.indiana.edu/pdf/AnalysisOfNapsterDecision.pdf

http://www.law.cornell.edu/copyright/cases/239_F3d_1004.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment